Cool people who follow this blog

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Am I still in America? Guess not







I arrived in Guatemala on Wednesday around 2:30 our time, a quick hour ride from the airport to the small town Santa Lucia Milpas Altas. The training center is very nice, except that it is a little unnerving to see the guard at the front gate with a shotgun over his shoulder and the barb wire surrounding the compound. Other then that it is beautiful. The town has spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and volcanoes.




I stayed with the Castellano family, which consisted of Dona Brenda, Don Tomas, Paco (13), Alexander (10), and Florecita (6). They could not have been nicer. Dona Brenda loved to talk, which was great because she made me feel right at home and really helped to improve my spanish quickly. I showed them pictures of all of you and it was great to see how interested they were in my family and my life back home. Which goes right to the heart of the second Peace Corps mission; which is to increase other people's understanding of Americans. They also REALLY enjoyed my skydiving video, although they called me a "gringo loco". Florecita was the cutest little girl I ever met, she was able to sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and I was able to teach her to sing it in English, kind of. I have a video and its adorable. This is Florecita on the left.


The family lived in a compound which had 4 different houses. One for the grandparents, a one for each of Dona Brenda's sisters, and one for her brother. They had gardens everywhere, chickens, cows, etc. We ate farm fresh eggs with frijoles for dinner one night, milk fresh from the cow in the morning (with cherios or corn flakes), and all different kinds of fresh vegetables. For those of you who though I would not be eating a lot here in Guatemala you were sorely mistaken. I am stuffing myself trying to finish some of these enormous meals, because I don't want to insult anyone.


On of the most interesting conversations I had with my host mom was about how poor their family is, and how it would be possible to send the men of the family to other countries to work so that they could earn more and send the money home; but they don't do that, because whats imporant is that they are happy with how life is. No amount of money will be able to change that for them, and even if it could improve their circumstances it would not bring them more happiness. For them, having the whole family together was all they really wanted, and it was very obvious that they all really enjoyed their lives; despite only having running water 2-3 days a week. They were very hospitable, and we actually became pretty close in a very short period of time, I will be visiting them often, because they live so close to the training center.


Today I woke up at 6am to go for a hike through the mountains with Paco and Alexander, so that we could get the best views of the volcanoes. Then I had to be at Peace Corps Office by eight oclock so that I could attend a few quick sessions and board the vans that took us to our new sites. I think I have one of the best sites available, and the best host family at that site. I am staying with Dona Dora, Don Cesar, and their son Octavio (25). They have a very simple home, they run a small tienda (shop) out of the front of the house, I have my own comfortable room, they have a golden retriever that craves attention (his name is Doggy), and the best part: their eldest son moved to Columbia for work, but upstairs in his room and all his stuff is still here, including television with cable and high speed internet (which is very rare in private homes here, but there are internet cafes everywhere). I don't yet have any pictures, but I will soon.


I am in the town of San Bartolome, which is only 5 km from the training site. The views here are beautiful as well. It is a little higher in altitude, about 8000 ft I think. Close to my room the house opens up to the outside where there is a beautiful bird cage. The family is very religious, and is taking me to church bright and early tomorrow morning. Octavio already took me and a couple other volunteers into the city of San Lucas to purchase cell phones. Write me an email if you want the number. I think I am really going to like it here.


The project I will be working on is a promotional marketing project for a nearby park. I don't really know much more then that yet, and I probably won't find out for a couple days. Right now I am supposed to be working on improving my Spanish and bonding with my host family. Which reminds me I gotta run. Adios.














2 comments:

  1. Dear Anthony, I just found out about your blog yesterday from your mother. I'm going to tune in frequently - it's exciting that you're there, the blog information is very interesting; you are a very good, informative writer. The Ohio State University taught you well! I'm going to send you some pictures (via email if that's the best way) because a trip to Guatamala just isn't complete without pictures of your Auntie Donna and cousins, Peter and Taylor. You enjoy this exciting adventure, stay safe and know that we're all thinking about you and sending the very best wishes to you from sunny southern california. xo Love, Auntie Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiiiii! How much fun!! Everything looks amazing! Great job on the blog! The pics are great. Glad to see that you are doing well and know that everyone misses you! You are in our thoughts and prayers. Stay strong!
    Love Chuck and Michelle

    ReplyDelete